Tuesday 9 September 2008

Heath or Heather?

I can never remember which is the summer one - heath or heather? I have a sneaking suspicion its heath in the summer, but all I can hear in my head is that old Sonic Youth ditty - the bull in the heather...... Anyway, whichever it was was in full bloom when we hit the Peak District a couple weekends ago.
It was as if the mountains were laid to rest under a lavender blanket. Here we are, trying not to get blown away.
Copy cat.
Here's me, log rolling down the last bit of the descent. My legs were like rubber after a summer of convalescence, I'm back to jelly legs. You'd do it too and you know it.

I got a kick out of how idyllic the place was. Just get a load of this typical Derbyshire courtyard.Masochists that we are, not only did we hike up the Kinder Scout plateau, we went nuts on a bike ride around Derwent Water the next day on aching legs- 17 miles in all, but more of the pretty heath-heather background and the enormous slice of chocolate cake at the Woodbine Cafe at the end of the trail made it all worth it.