Saturday 5 January 2008

Happy New Year!

Here's hoping you find plenty of sun spots to curl up in for 2008!!

I know, I'm a little late but I got there in the end! My trip to Berlin was super-fantastische! Note: New Year's Eve in Berlin is probably best experienced from an armored vehicle or perhaps the Pope mobile. It's a friggin war-zone out there. It's not just that there are fireworks in the hands of the masses, but big fireworks, like rockets and M-80's and scary noisy whistling then banging, booming ones. And then they're thrown at you while you're waiting for your ever-efficient-it-takes-more-than teenagers-with-fire-powered-rockets-to- stop-this-German-bus and they're exploding in mail boxes and rubbish bins and phone booths and thrown at every passing car and at each other and at you or otherwise exploding all around you. The Germans didn't seem to blink an eye, it was all in good fun, they said. I, for one, was terrified and I'm not embarrassed to admit how wimpy I am.

And I'll also admit that despite all the noise, I really had a ball on new year's eve and the rest of my trip - Berlin is a fun city to visit and the Big G and me talked a whole lot about how great it would be to live there some day. It was fab to catch up with a dear friend whom I hadn't seen in ages and even more fab to eat Brats and drink delicious, cold beer!! (the UK stuff is always served at room temp, ick!)

No comments: