Saturday 12 January 2008

Project 52 (1 and 2 / 52)

Did you ever see the movie Smoke? The one with Harvey Keitel and Forest Whitaker? I think it's from the early 90's.... There's this bit in it, where an old man takes a photo out the window of his apartment of the Brooklyn street corner down below, at the same time of day, every day, for some 30 years. I always liked this idea of documenting a mundane or ordinary subject and watching how it slowly changes over time and it's been somewhere in the back of my mind ever since. I just never managed to stay in the same place long enough to ever let it come to fruition for me.

Now that I'm settled here in Warwickshire, I thought I'd finally start my own project. I'm not diligent enough for an everyday sort of endeavor, but I think I can just about manage once a week. Here's my subject, this old oak tree in a field down the road from our house. I aim to shoot it at around the same time on the same day every week. I can't wait to see how it turns out at the end of the year....

Here's week one (above) and week two (below) of Project 52. Enjoy!

1 comment:

brad said...

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. There are two giant buildings going in a block from me in West Seattle. I thought it might be fun to take a picture every week of the building.