Sunday 3 August 2008

Making stufff: the 'and her bird can sing... 'throw pillow

It was Zoe's birthday yesterday and to celebrate I threw together this little beauty. It's my first attempt at proper quilting - I mean with a traditional pattern - the log cabin. The results turned out to be anything but traditional.
I'm completely obsessed with the idea now and have already set about cutting up all the fabric I can get my hands on into these little 2 1/2 inch strips.
Oh and the embroidery on the back! I just love this little bird, inspired by one I saw in Doodle Stitching by Aimee Ray- a book I've mentioned before here on the blog and another book I just can't help being inspired by. Go out and get it now, even if you've never embroidered before - it is positively overflowing with simple yet stunning designs that can be infinitely used over and over again in a hundred different contexts. Check out her latest work here.
(Tweet.)
And for dessert.....
There is nothing happier than birthday cupcakes, don't you think?

2 comments:

Brio Condos said...

nice pillow but have not seen a tree update in a while!!!

the queen bee said...

I know, I know.... I suck. I fell off the wagon with the surgery and the not feeling so hot. My bike ride up to the tree was put on hold. Now that I'm feeling better, I have no excuses. Really. No excuses. Only pure, unadulterated laziness. Thanks for pointing this out, Mr. Nelson.
xo Bee