Saturday 10 November 2007

Doh!

Which one of these needles is not like the others? Now that you'll be humming that sesame street classic under your breath the rest of the day, I'll explain. I grabbed the wrong friggin needle when rushing about to pack up for the quick trip back to the States last week when I was frantically rummaging through my to-do box. Consequently, one side of the Pippa Bag has this unsightly little bulge where I'd picked it up using the mistakenly identified offending 5 mm needle.
For whatever reason (hmmm, could it be travel exhaustion?) I didn't even notice until I got to Tucson and started in on the second side piece of the bag and began to run out of yarn. "Surely, the pattern called for 4 skeins, why does it look like I'll need six?" I said, puzzled. Apply hand to forehead here.

I'm going with it. It's felted, no one will be any the wiser, right? Any experienced felters out there please feel free to advise. This is my first felted piece.

This led my selectively anal-retentive nature down the long path of an inner monologue regarding how to avoid this in the future. Having worked as a vet nurse for a number of years, an obvious solution strikes me. We label instruments that all belong in the same surgical kit with rings of coloured tape to denote a matching set. I think I may embark on the same endeavor with my needles. Surely, that's the most overly drastic measure I could take. It would probably just be simpler to bind them together with rubber bands or create one of those wonderful needle organizers that I see patterns for all over the place. In fact, there's a pattern for one in the very same Rowan book that the Pippa Bag's pattern is in.

Queen Bee Poll: How do you organize your needles and other implements of mass construction?

No comments: