Saturday 3 November 2007

Home Sweet Home (or home is where the heart is)


Well, I made it home after a gruelingly long haul across the Atlantic and an even more punishing journey on England's fine rail system with the 88 pound suitcase of goodies I brought home from America!! The exchange rate is so good right now, I just couldn't help myself! And besides, tis the season for cornbread and those jiffy mixes are only 34 cents a piece!

Despite my inherent grumpiness after the 24 hour door to door, the hub was happy to see me and treated me to fish and chips at our favorite village pub after which, belly full of Duck on the Pond goodness, I crashed hard until about midnight at which point I lay with my eyes wide open for most of the night. What a dumbass!! I'd signed up for a knitting class today to learn more about cables and beading, but can barely keep my eyes open so I ducked out on it. I'm really bummed about missing it, because I've been looking forward to it for weeks. I can hardly string two words together much less gab with the girls whilst learning new skills for the day.

Besides, tonight we get to see Iron & Wine play at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham. I need to conserve my energy. I heart Sam Beam. And Sarah Beam and well anything and anyone connected to the band..... Here they are in Vienna when I saw them last with Calexico, nearly 2 years ago. I believe Sam is much furrier these days. Tell me what you think of the new album, The Shepherd's Dog. On first listen, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, I liked it but I was hesitant to say it sounded anything remotely like what I expected from an Iron & Wine album. I listened to it a ton on the flight back home and it's really beginning to grow on me. And behold! You can now actually rock out to an Iron & Wine song courtesy of this album. Thanks, Sam!

No comments: